Pasadena, CA – Stage 7 presented by Amgen wound riders 78.3 miles from veteran Host City of Santa Clarita to Pasadena. Two former race champions who won the title in Pasadena were in the race this year: Slovak three-time World Champion Peter Sagan (2015), who placed second for today’s stage in a furious sprint, and New Zealand’s George Bennett (2017), who ended the race in fourth place overall.
In the final meters of the race, Sagan and Travis McCabe (USA Cycling National Team) sprinted shoulder to shoulder until Astana attacked and Cees Bol (Team Sunweb) leapt out and narrowly outpaced Sagan for the stage win.
Results Stage 7 – Santa Clarita to Pasadena
- Cees Bol (NED), Team Sunweb (GER) 2h53’16”
- Peter Sagan (SVK), BORA-hansgrohe (GER) +00”
- Jasper Philipsen (BEL), UAE Team Emirates (UAE) +00”
UAE Team Emirates’ 20-year-old Tadej Pogacar took his most significant win to date by staking claim to the 2019 Amgen Tour of California General Classification.
“This race was my main goal this year. I knew that I was prepared. I surprised myself a bit that I took the overall win. But I’m really happy and looking forward to next season,” said Pogacar.
Two young first-timers to this race vied for the overall championship in an epic battle yesterday when Pogacar took over the race lead after the Queen Stage summit finish at Mt. Baldy, coming into the final stage +:16” ahead of EF Education First Pro Cycling’s 21-year-old Sergio Higuita (COL). With their time gap unchanged today, Higuita finished in second place overall.
Beginning the day in sixth place overall (+:22), Deceuninck – Quick-Step’s Kasper Asgreen (DEN) fought to make up time with bonus points today. He joined a chase group that brought the peloton back together before it reached Pasadena, then leapt out to a solo lead on the first of three passes across the finish line to claim maximum Sprint points in the finishing circuits. UAE Team Emirates worked hard to reel him back in defense of Pogacar, who will also go home with the TAG Heuer Best Young Rider Jersey in addition to his yellow jersey.
OVERALL RACE RESULTS:
- Tadej Pogacar (SLO), UAE Team Emirates (UAE) 32h55’12”
- Sergio Higuita (COL), EF Education First Pro Cycling (USA) +0:16”
- Kasper Asgreen (DEN), Deceuninck – Quick-Step (BEL) +0:17”
- George Bennett (NZL), Team Jumbo-Visma (TJV) +0:29”
- Richie Porte (AUS), Trek-Segafredo (USA) +0:41”
JERSEY WINNERS AT RACE CONCLUSION:
- Amgen Race Leader Jersey – Tadej Pogacar (SLO), UAE Team Emirates (UAE)
- Visit California Sprint Jersey – Kasper Asgreen (DEN), Deceuninck – Quick-Step (BEL)
- Lexus King of the Mountain (KOM) Jersey – Davide Ballerini (ITA), Astana Pro Team (KAZ)
- Breakaway from Cancer ® Most Courageous Rider Jersey – Alex Hoehn (USA), USA Cycling (USA)
- TAG Heuer Best Young Rider Jersey – Tadej Pogacar (SLO), UAE Team Emirates (UAE)
OVERALL TEAM WINNER:
- EF Education First Pro Cycling (USA)