On the day where most Americans celebrate their Independence Day with fireworks, Annemiek van Vleuten (Bigla Pro Cycling) supplied her own as the former Dutch National Time Trial Champion won the Giro Rosa Prologue for the second year in a row.
“It feels super cool because I also won the prologue in Bira and this again is a special feeling to get to wear the maglia rosa tomorrow. I’m so happy for the team,” van Vleuten said.
“You can’t make any mistakes in a prologue like this. You might come here as a favorite but it’s not so easy because everything has to go perfect. I feel on good form and I was really focused. I practiced a lot. I think I did the turnaround corner fifteen times.”
The Classics rider from Vleuten would cover the 2.0 kilometer distance in 02:48 and lead a Dutch sweep of the podium. Rabo Liv Women Cycling teammates, Roxane Knetemann and Anna Van Der Breggen finished in second and third, respectively.
Results – Ljubljana (Slovenia) – Prologue (2.0 kilometers)
1. Annemiek Van Vleuten (Ned) Bigla Pro Cycling Team – 0:02:48
2. Roxane Knetemann (Ned) Rabo Liv Women Cycling Team – 0:00:01
3. Anna Van Der Breggen (Ned) Rabo Liv Women Cycling Team – 0:00:02
General Classification After Prologue
1. Annemiek Van Vleuten (Ned) Bigla Pro Cycling Team
2. Roxane Knetemann (Ned) Rabo Liv Women Cycling Team
3. Anna Van Der Breggen (Ned) Rabo Liv Women Cycling Team
4. Ellen Van Dijk (Ned) Boels Dolmans Cycling Team
5. Valentina Scandolara (Ita) Orica-AIS
6. Megan Guarnier (USA) Boels Dolmans Cycling Team
7. Pauline Ferrand-Prevot (Fra) Rabo Liv Women Cycling Team
8. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle Honda
9. Lizzie Williams (Aus) Orica-AIS
10. Thalita De Jong (Ned) Rabo Liv Women Cycling Team
Photo: Bigla Pro Cycling Team