Pasadena, CA – Elisa Balsamo (Valcar Cylance) was not one of the favored sprinters coming into the 2019 Amgen Tour of California Women’s Race Empowered With SRAM, but the up-and-coming Italian proved to be the best of the bunch over the three-day stage race.
Balsamo, a native of Cuneo, and a stalwart on both the track and the road, took both bunch sprints, which resulted in a second place in Ventura and a first place in Pasadena. In the finale of the Amgen Tour of California Women’s Race Empowered With SRAM, Balsamo was simply unstoppable as she moved fluidly through the peloton to capture her first UCI Women’s World Tour victory. Arlenis Sierra (Astana Women’s Team) would take second, while American Leigh Ann Ganzar (Hagens Berman | Supermint) rounded out the podium.
With regards to the General Classification, the winner was all but decided during the Stage 2 assault of Mt. Baldy. With her solo victory in Ventura and a second place finish mere seconds behind her Boels Dolmans Cycling teammate, Katie Hall, atop Mt. Baldy, Anna van der Breggen, needed only to cross the finish line in Pasadena to ensure her second Amgen Tour of California title in the past three years. The current Olympic and UCI World Champion claimed her third UCI Women’s World Tour victory this year.
Results – Stage 3, Santa Clarita to Pasadena
- Elisa Balsamo (ITA), Valcar Cylance Cycling (ITA) 3h19’57”
- Arlenis Sierra (CUB), Astana Women’s Team (KAZ) +00”
- Leigh Ann Ganzar (USA), Hagens Berman | Supermint (USA) +00”
OVERALL RACE RESULTS:
- Anna van der Breggen (NED), Boels Dolmans Cycling Team (NED) 8h32’34”
- Katie Hall (USA), Boels Dolmans Cycling Team (NED) +0:29”
- Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (RSA), CCC – Liv (NED) +1:06”
- Clara Koppenburg (GER), WNT ROTOR Pro Cycling Team (GER) +1:25”
- Katarzyna Niewiadoma (POL), CANYON/SRAM Racing (GER) +1:34”
Final Jersey Winners:
- Amgen Race Leader Jersey – Anna van der Breggen (NED), Boels Dolmans Cycling Team (NED)
- Visit California Sprint Jersey – Anna van der Breggen (NED), Boels Dolmans Cycling Team (NED)
- Lexus Queen of the Mountain (QOM) Jersey – Blanca Liliana Moreno Canchon (COL), Astana Women’s Team (KAZ)
- TAG Heuer Best Young Rider Jersey – Juliette Labous (FRA), Team Sunweb (NED)
- Breakaway from Cancer® Most Courageous Rider Jersey – Kathrin Hammes (GER), WNT ROTOR Pro Cycling Team (GER)
OVERALL TEAM WINNER:
- CANYON//SRAM Racing (GER)